Are you craving a massage but can’t find the time or money? Or maybe you’re afraid of exposing yourself to a new COVID variant or you’re caught up with obligations. Did you know you can hack the power of massage by learning to do Abhyanga Ayurvedic massage – a warm oil self-massage? You can, and it’s easy and inexpensive. This massage can help to lower stress, blood pressure, muscle stiffness, as well as improve draining of the lymph system, sleep and skin health. All you need is yourself, a bottle to warm oil in, and a massage oil of your choice (or better yet, make your own by adding essential oil into coconut oil).
Here are the steps:
- Place your favorite soothing massage oil into a closed squeezable bottle (like a shampoo bottle) and into a bigger container of hot water – let this bottle of oil get warm but not too hot.
- Begin by massaging the oil into your scalp, using circular motions.
- Move down and massage this gently into your face, cheek bones, chin and ears.
- Using clockwise circular motions, continue to massage into your neck and chest.
- Massage under and into your ribs.
- Along your arms and legs, massage with long movements on long bones. Massage circularly around joints.
- Finish by massaging your feet.
- If you can, sit with the oil for 5-10 minutes. Then rinse it off in the shower.
Whenever you’re feeling overwhelmed, can’t make it into the masseuse or simply don’t want to spend the money, harness some of the same benefits with self-massage. Think Abhyanga.