Do you ever find yourself without good food options? It happens to even the most prepared of us! You’re desperate and hangry and end up in the first deli you find buying a sandwich (hello, gluten) or protein bar (tons of sugar) or grabbing a slice of pizza (where did that cheese come from?). It isn’t as easy as it used to be to jump into your favorite health food store, so as we head back out into the world after being home all these months, it’s more important than ever to be prepared.
Stash a few healthy snacks in your bag to keep your hunger at bay until you reach better food choices. Want some good options?
Easy, long-lasting snack (days, maybe weeks):
- Dry roasted or raw nuts or seeds (any that you like – pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, walnuts, almonds, cashews, a mix)
- Trail mix (same as above, but mix in something fun – coconut shreds, dark chocolate chips, etc.)
- Olives in individual packets
- Low sugar protein bars (Bulletproof and IQ Bars are both very low sugar)
- Sustainably raised jerky
- Seaweed snacks
- Collagen in individual packets (add to your coffee or tea!)
Has the pandemic given you extra time to prepare for leaving the house? If so, get creative!
Prepared, perishable snacks:
- Cut up veggies – carrots, celery, cucumbers, sugar snap peas, or almond flour crackers with little hummus or guacamole in a 8 oz ball jar
- Pasture raised, hard boiled eggs with sea salt and pepper
- Apple with nut butter in an individual packet
- Grain free granola with some berries
- Homemade protein balls