We all know that sleep is essential to our immune health which is especially important as we support our bodies to combat the coronavirus. While some of us are using the “stay at home” order to get our 8+ hours of sleep, others of us are starting some bad habits with no normal routine.
Have you fallen into sleep depriving habits? Binge watching TV until late at night? A few drinks before bed? Working late hours on the computer? Snacking after dinner? All of these can lead to restless sleep, lack of sleep, and not the immune boost we need in these crazy times.
Get back on track as soon as you can!
- Plan to get 7-9 hours of sleep per night. Go for more rather than less.
- Create a schedule for getting to bed and waking up and try to stick to it as often as you can.
- Eat dinner 2-3 hours before bed and do not snack after dinner.
- Be cautious with alcohol. It can disrupt your sleep AND weaken your immune system. Be sure to take a few nights off.
- Turn off the computer, phone, and TV an hour before your designated bedtime.
- Create a night time ritual to help create calm in your day. Turn down the lights, light a candle, talk to a loved one, read a book, write in a journal – whatever works for you.